Friday, September 29, 2017

A Lazy Day


I love capturing the everyday moments of life – not just the birthdays, Christmases, graduations, but the little things that make up our lives. I took these photos during our Disney Cruise, and they document real life – one tired family.

We had just been swimming with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman. We were on the ferry headed back to land. It was hot and we were all tired and sweaty. I noticed that everyone was quiet and I think Alyssia fell sound asleep sitting up!

One thing I noticed when I got home is that in one of the pictures, Zachary is covering his ears. The engine was loud and rumbling and all the noise and sensory input was just a little too much for him. Zach has sensory issues – he was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). One of Caleb’s occupational therapists picked up on the fact Zach was struggling with some issues. He was a little wild and crazy and seemed to need to play rough, which she explained was his way of getting the sensory input he needed.

When he was three years old we took him to be evaluated, and although he had some autistic like characteristics, they never placed him on the spectrum . . .  but they did say he had a combination of SPD and ADHD. He began speech therapy and occupational therapy and started school year-round at a specialized pre-school.

He was seven when these photos were taken and he has made tremendous progress. When he was younger he would have never been able to handle being in a crowded situation, contained on a ferry. But he has coping mechanisms – like covering his ears, closing his eyes, swaddling up in blankets, laying on the floor on his stomach, etc. He’s worked very hard and come a long way and I’m so proud of him! This picture of Zach might not have ever caught your eye as something significant, but to this mommy it was just another everyday moment that makes up my life and reminds me to count my blessings!


Scrapbooking Tips:
Once again, I used a Scrapbook Generation sketch to create this layout and I was excited to try a new shape on my layouts and pulled out my hexagon dies from The Stamps of Life. Using my dies and Sizzix Big Shot die cutting machine I was able to turn scraps of paper into a beautiful layout.

I popped up some of the hexagons to add dimension along with adding some shell brads from Doodlebug Design. I also tried to overlap some hexagons on the pictures and then added journaling strips on top of the hexagons to create visual interest. I think overlapping various elements on a scrap book page really helps to create an eye-catching design.


I typically don’t lay out my titles on a straight line, but I used my journaling template, traced a line in pencil which I carefully erased once the stickers were in place.

Title Treatment

Dimensional Hexagons

The journaling strips overlap some hexagons and lay under others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Candy

Who doesn't love candy? My kids have inherited their mom's sweet tooth. Although, as I've matured I forgo the sour patch kids...