Together We Will Find a CURE





This is a layout near and dear to my heart. One thing our family is passionate about is funding medical research for a treatment and cure for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Dave and I became chapter leaders for CURE SMA (formally Families of SMA) and host a annual 5K / Walk-n-Roll. We promised Caleb that we would not stop until there was a cure for him, and we agreed as a family that we wanted to raise (at least) $1 Million for CURE SMA. No parent should have to sit and hear what we were told, "No treatment. No cure."

Because the day of the event is so crazy, I asked one of my students, Hannah Balta, to come and photograph the event. She donated her time and took some awesome pictures that are definitely scrapbook worthy!

Not only did I have awesome photos to scrap, but I used a lot of fun techniques and am very pleased with the results.


Balloon Bouquets
I used a die from The Stamps of Life to cut balloons out of CURE SMA's colors - orange and purple. I love how they mimic the balloons attached to Caleb's chair. I played around to get a good "grouping". I adhered some directly to the page and then used foam squares on a few balloons to give some dimension to the bouquet. I hand drew the strings then stitched them in black floss.


Title Treatment
I typically use letter stickers from my (plentiful and ever growing) stash, but I shopped for special stickers to match my "vision" for this layout. To make the word CURE stand out, I actually took this photo of my t-shirt to Michael's and found the closest font and color match. I then used simple black stickers for the rest of the title. I placed CURE on the page first to give it prominence and then fit the other letter stickers around it.


Overlapping Photos
I love fitting multiple photos on my page, and the best way to do that is find pictures I can crop down and overlap. I used to think making a photo smaller somehow made it "less important", but I have found that just the opposite happens. It can actually draw more attention to the little details that might get overlooked otherwise. Here the cropped photos highlight a sign my cousin made, Caleb racing his friend, Joe, and a contemplative Caleb.

As long as there is SMA, the Cunniff family will not stop working towards a treatment and cure! That was something Dave was passionate about, and we will carry on not only for Caleb and those battling SMA, but to honor Dave's memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ohana Means Family

Grief Comes in All Shapes & Sizes

Gangnam Style