Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Together We Will Find a CURE





This is a layout near and dear to my heart. One thing our family is passionate about is funding medical research for a treatment and cure for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Dave and I became chapter leaders for CURE SMA (formally Families of SMA) and host a annual 5K / Walk-n-Roll. We promised Caleb that we would not stop until there was a cure for him, and we agreed as a family that we wanted to raise (at least) $1 Million for CURE SMA. No parent should have to sit and hear what we were told, "No treatment. No cure."

Because the day of the event is so crazy, I asked one of my students, Hannah Balta, to come and photograph the event. She donated her time and took some awesome pictures that are definitely scrapbook worthy!

Not only did I have awesome photos to scrap, but I used a lot of fun techniques and am very pleased with the results.


Balloon Bouquets
I used a die from The Stamps of Life to cut balloons out of CURE SMA's colors - orange and purple. I love how they mimic the balloons attached to Caleb's chair. I played around to get a good "grouping". I adhered some directly to the page and then used foam squares on a few balloons to give some dimension to the bouquet. I hand drew the strings then stitched them in black floss.


Title Treatment
I typically use letter stickers from my (plentiful and ever growing) stash, but I shopped for special stickers to match my "vision" for this layout. To make the word CURE stand out, I actually took this photo of my t-shirt to Michael's and found the closest font and color match. I then used simple black stickers for the rest of the title. I placed CURE on the page first to give it prominence and then fit the other letter stickers around it.


Overlapping Photos
I love fitting multiple photos on my page, and the best way to do that is find pictures I can crop down and overlap. I used to think making a photo smaller somehow made it "less important", but I have found that just the opposite happens. It can actually draw more attention to the little details that might get overlooked otherwise. Here the cropped photos highlight a sign my cousin made, Caleb racing his friend, Joe, and a contemplative Caleb.

As long as there is SMA, the Cunniff family will not stop working towards a treatment and cure! That was something Dave was passionate about, and we will carry on not only for Caleb and those battling SMA, but to honor Dave's memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Candy

Who doesn't love candy? My kids have inherited their mom's sweet tooth. Although, as I've matured I forgo the sour patch kids...