Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Great Escape - Part I



Dave and I took the boys to The Great Escape in June of 2012. We decided to go for just the afternoon for two main reasons. First, we're never sure about accessibility for Caleb, and secondly, Zach's sensory issues can be a bit problematic. He was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder in 2011, and sometimes he can easily go into "sensory overload". That means melt downs, crying, and anti-social behavior. We were not sure what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised! (You'd also never know we only spent an afternoon there judging by the amount of scrapbook layouts I have.)

It poured shortly after we got there. I don't mean rained, or sprinkled, but drenching, down pouring rain. With an electric wheel chair, this is not a good. We bought rain ponchos and draped Caleb's chair, and put one on Zach, who loved wearing it. As fast as the rain came, it went away, but Zach continued to wear the rain gear for a while. (You'll see a cute layout tomorrow with Zach in his poncho.)

We gravitated toward the "little kid" rides, and the boys loved them! Although the truck ride is an easy and slow moving ride, Daddy had to tag along. Caleb's core muscles are weaker and one of us had to ride with him to keep him from falling over. We try to never draw attention to Caleb's disability and Dave was wonderful at making Caleb feel like he was doing Daddy a favor if Daddy could ride with him. Watching Dave squeeze into the various rides was hysterical, and he made so many funny faces at me every time they went around the circle, and he would have the boys wave at Mommy. It was such a fun afternoon.



Scrapbooking Tip:
I had the privilege of taking a stamping class with Stephanie Barnard, who owns The Stamps of Life. Her products are amazing, and I learned so much about stamping from her - so much so I began to incorporate it into my scrapbooks. I used her all4stars stamp set and inks to create all the embellishments for this page. To check out her amazing products and videos go to stephaniebarnardstamps.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Candy

Who doesn't love candy? My kids have inherited their mom's sweet tooth. Although, as I've matured I forgo the sour patch kids...