Monday, September 24, 2018

Apple Picking



I love autumn – hands down it is my favorite time of the year! One fall tradition that I used to do every year was to go apple picking at Bowman Orchards. Dave and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary with a trip to the orchard and day dreamed about one day bringing our kids there.

After Dave died it was just too painful to go for a couple of years. I couldn’t bring myself to take the boys without their Dad. Caleb went in 2014 with Grammy and Grampy while I was working one day and Zach was in preschool. I was happy that he enjoyed the day but knew that I wasn’t ready.

Thankfully my heart continued to heal and I am happy to say we are now apple picking again every year! In honor of this season and a reminder that there is time for everything, I’ll be showing various apple picking layouts from over the years.

This was apple picking 2009. Dave’s grandmother and aunt were spending a few days with Grammy and Grampy and we decided to go together. (At that time there were only three Cunniff grandkids – we’ve grown a little since then!)

Scrapbooking Tips:



I wanted to use larger and busier photos so I kept the background simple. I cut a 3 or 4 inch strip from a page of apple pattern paper and layered a photo on top. I kept the title in a neutral color so it did not compete with the colors from the pictures. I cut pictures down to a 3x4 size to create a grid design on the right page.

The colors were so rich on the pattern paper that any apple stickers I had were way too bright. So I improvised. I fussy cut apples out of the pattern paper scraps. That way my embellishments were a perfect match! I overlapped them and adhered a couple with a pop dot to give it dimension.

Photo Tips:

I loved the look of the deep red apples on the trees with the vibrant green leaves so I snapped a few scenic shots. When I was putting together the photo grid I included just an apple shot.
I also zoomed in on the picture of my sweet niece Olivia trying to chow down on an apple. Cropping the photo down to a 3x4 size really draws your eye to her sweet little baby fingers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Candy

Who doesn't love candy? My kids have inherited their mom's sweet tooth. Although, as I've matured I forgo the sour patch kids...