Monday, May 27, 2019

Never Forget


I put together a layout of pictures to remember the time we went to the NY State Fair memorial honoring all state law enforcement officers and firefighters who have died in the line of duty. The boys and I were there for the dedication ceremony in August of 2014, but it was the first time we had been back. Jim was visiting a gun show being held at the State Fair in April of 2017. The fairgrounds were empty and we walked over to show Alyssia. 

I am still blown away when I see all the names of men and women who have died in public service - and these memorials don't even count military losses. For every name there are families who loved and grieved. Children who grew up without their father or mother, spouses who kissed their loved one goodbye not knowing it was their last moment together, and parents who had to do the unthinkable and bury a child. 

In the past, when I would see these memorials, I would walk right past. It wasn't that I didn't recognize that people have died for my freedom, and to keep me safe, but it wasn't until Dave died that I understood the cost. Now when I pass memorials of any kind, I'll linger for a minute, read the names, and think about the family left behind. In the act of stopping and consciously reading some of the names inscribed, it is a way of honoring and never forgetting the sacrifices made.

Scrapbooking Tips:
This is a layout I made using paper scraps from my Stamps of Life card kits. I also followed an Allison Davis sketch from her SixbySix2 scrapbooking class. In that sketch's notes she described how to create the piece work which involved cutting paper into 1x2 rectangles then cutting the ends on diagonal lines. 

When I showed some fellow scrapbookers this layout, a recurring comment was, "This must have taken so long!" It did take longer than most layouts I do, but it didn't seem it because I broke the work down in chunks. I cut my rectangles and then stuck them in a bag. During my lunch break at work I traced and cut the slanted edges. While watching TV, I inked the edges of each piece. By breaking the layout down into smaller tasks, it didn't feel like it took that much extra time. I also felt like I was scrapbooking a little every time I pulled out my paper rectangles!


I also have been asked why I chose a purple and grey color scheme. Those are NYSP colors, and Dave was a very proud NYSP Trooper. 

In the photo below, if you look at the stone under 2013, Dave's name is the last one listed.   





No comments:

Post a Comment

We Love Candy

Who doesn't love candy? My kids have inherited their mom's sweet tooth. Although, as I've matured I forgo the sour patch kids...